English | Size: 27.19 MB
Use GitLab CI/CD pipelines for automating and deploying different steps of your software development lifecycle using best practices and troubleshooting methods.
- Reap the power of GitLab CI/CD pipelines at every stage of your software development lifecycle
- Learn how GitLab makes Git easier to use and more powerful when committing and reviewing code
- Cement your understanding using hands-on tutorials and extensive self-assessment exercises
- Purchase of the print or Kindle book includes a free eBook in the PDF format
Developers and release engineers understand the high stakes involved in building, packaging, and deploying code correctly. Ensuring that your code is functionally correct, fast, and secure is a time-consuming and complex task. Code implementation, development, and deployment can be conducted efficiently using GitLab CI/CD pipelines.
Automating DevOps with GitLab CI/CD Pipelines begins with the basics of Git and GitLab, showing how to commit and review code. You’ll learn to set up GitLab Runners for executing and autoscaling CI/CD pipelines and creating and configuring pipelines for many software development lifecycle steps. You’ll also discover where to find pipeline results in GitLab, and how to interpret those results. Through the course of the book, you’ll become well-equipped with deploying code to different environments, advancing CI/CD pipeline features such as connecting GitLab to a Kubernetes cluster and using GitLab with Terraform, triggering pipelines and improving pipeline performance and using best practices and troubleshooting tips for uncooperative pipelines. In-text examples, use cases, and self-assessments will reinforce the important CI/CD, GitLab, and Git concepts, and help you prepare for interviews and certification exams related to GitLab.
By the end of this book, you’ll be able to use GitLab to build CI/CD pipelines that automate all the DevOps steps needed to build and deploy high-quality, secure code.
What you will learn
- Gain insights into the essentials of Git, GitLab, and DevOps
- Understand how to create, view, and run GitLab CI/CD pipelines
- Explore how to verify, secure, and deploy code with GitLab CI/CD pipelines
- Configure and use GitLab Runners to execute CI/CD pipelines
- Explore advanced GitLab CI/CD pipeline features like DAGs and conditional logic
- Follow best practices and troubleshooting methods of GitLab CI/CD pipelines
- Implement end-to-end software development lifecycle workflows using examples
Who this book is for
This book is for DevOps/DevSecOps engineers, application developers, release engineers, quality assurance engineers, security engineers, SREs, and sysadmins looking to implement fast, secure and automated software development lifecycle tasks using continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines in GitLab. Basic knowledge of major stages of the software development life cycle and DevOps processes will be helpful.
Table of Contents
- Exploring the Life Before DevOps
- Practicing Basic Git Commands
- Understanding GitLab Components
- Understanding GitLab CI/CD Pipeline Structure
- Installing and Configuring GitLab Runners
- Verifying Your Code
- Securing Your Code
- Packaging and Deploying Your Code
- Enhancing Speed and Maintainability of CI/CD Pipelines
- Extending the Reach of CI/CD Pipelines
- End-to-End Example
- Troubleshooting and Moving Ahead with GitLab
- Appendix: Self-Assessment Questions and Answers
If any links die or problem unrar, send request to